Saturday, September 11, 2010

In which smart people on the Internet give me advice, and I realise that I am a statistic

So I've always been one of those women who was rather smug about the idea that even though most women wear the wrong bra size I'm not one of them. Why, I've been measured and fitted in a good lingerie store! OK, so that was years ago, but still! In fact, I've argued with people that although they insist most women with my band size tend to be chubbier than me that is in fact my band size. I just have big ribs, blah blah.

Well, as it turns out I was actually wrong about my band size. I thought I was a 36 (and in fact I wore a 38 in my teens, when I was at least as thin as I am now, pre-fitting). In reality? Well, I'm currently wearing a 34 as we speak, and thinking it may be time to get myself to a store and try on a 32, because I can still comfortably get my whole hand under the band of the 34, which apparently one should not be able to do. Also, the 34 is more comfortable than the 36 was - seriously, I put it on and immediately went "wow this is so comfy and look how totally straight the back is".

So I will be getting my ass to a store and being fitted soon. I was wearing a 36D or DD depending on style, and currently have on a 34DD, and I'm sort of bulging out of the cups a little at the side, so I think I may in fact need a 34E. Or, if it turns out that the 32 band fits, that would probably make me a 32F? Which I sort of don't even want to contemplate, because holy shit it's hard to find bras in that size. Bye bye shopping in department store sales ever, basically. I'm hoping that it turns out that the 34 is fine.

The lesson here, ladies, is get fitted. I honestly had no idea how much better a smaller band would feel. Though in my case there's a lot of formerly anorexic thinking of myself as a lot fatter than I am mental nonsense going on in there too.

Also, on a related note, I just realised that I'm not eating as much protein as I should be. As in, about half as much as I should be. Yikes. See, in general I have a pretty balanced, healthy diet, but I do eat a lot of veggies, and I guess I sort of gradually reduced my protein intake without intending to, thus getting to where I am now. And again, of course the ED issues play into this and old stuff I used to believe about how much I should be eating is always at the back of my mind (I can still come up with calorie counts with ease, and it's been about 15 years since I recovered). This stuff is poison, you never really get rid of it. I mean, I'm 37 and I'm a size 6, if anything that's way below average for a woman my age, but do I think of myself as thin? Lol no.

So now I'm sitting here contemplating how to add more protein to my diet while at the same time planning my upcoming bra fitting. Body issues, they just never stop.

No comments: